This guide here is to unbrick soft bricked Nexus S only. Don’t try it on any other Nexus variant. Also this post here is only for soft bricked device only not hard bricked (see here for the difference).
We are not responsible for any data loss or other problems that occur by using this tutorial. Flashing ROM deletes internal memory. Use at your own risk.
See end of the post for download links.
- Linux (USB version will be fine)
- Java installed on Linux
- AdamOutler’s unbrick tool
- Windows with fastboot drivers installed (See Here).
Procedure to unbrick soft bricked Nexus S :-
- Install Ubuntu or any other Linux OS on USB Stick
- Run AdamOutlers tool
- Select nexus S from the drop down list and the click on resurrect.
- Start device in Fastboot mode by pressing volume up and power button.
- You should now see android with a talk bubble in the resurrector.
- Now reboot Ubuntu but neither unplug device from the computer nor power off computer.
- As you see the bios screen, remove the USB drive to allow computer to boot into Windows.
- If you have installed Fastboot drivers on Windows then download OTA Package (eg. samfirmware.com) for your device, if not then please see this post to install drivers.
- Extract the OTA zip and you will see bootloader.img, boot.img and recovery.img.
- Place these files in the Fastboot folder ( links below ).
- Open command prompt, win + R then type in cmd and browse to Fastboot folder using cd command. eg. cd c:\Fastboot
- Run the following commands. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot reboot-bootloader
- Done !! you device should be unbricked now.
- If after running fastboot reboot-bootloader, you don’t reboot for a while then unplug it and then plug it again.
- If after reboot if you still remain bricked then enter into Fastboot mode and then choose recovery and then install the OTA zip file (gingerbread OTA). After install is complete then choose reboot but before it reboots, power it off. Now again start in Fastboot mode and then select recovery. In recovery, select wipe data/factory reset.
Get Tips for your device, Free!
No Spam Promise, Your email address is SAFE with us!