This post here is to unbrick soft bricked Google Nexus 4. Don’t try it on any other Google Nexus variant. Also this post is only for soft bricked Google Nexus 4 not hard bricked (see the difference). It will flash Nexus 4 with stock Android 5.0.1 ROM (latest version when writing this post).
We are not responsible for any data loss or other problems that occur by using this tutorial. Flashing ROM deletes internal memory. Use at your own risk.
Google Nexus 4 USB drivers
- 2Google 4.3 stock image
- 3Nexus 4 toolkit to flash ROM
- 4PC with Windows OS on it
All the downloads are provided at the end of the post.
This process requires you that your Google Nexus 4 has a unlocked bootloader. If your bootloader isn’t unlocked or you don’t know anything about it (then it’s probably unlocked since it is locked by default), follow from step 1 to 4 below. Next, instead of entering 9 as directed in step 5, enter 3 and follow the steps provided by toolkit to unlock the bootloader. Then you can continue the steps provided below to unbrick Google Nexus 4.
Procedure to unbrick soft bricked Google Nexus 4 :-
- 1Download and install the Nexus 4 toolkit provided at the end of the post.
- 2Download the stock 5.0.1 ROM for Google Nexus 4 from the links below. The download file should have a .tgz or .tar extension. Open Nexus 4 toolkit’s install directory, typically it should be “C:\Program Files\Nexus 4 toolkit”, there you will find a folder put_google_factory_image_here, move the .tgz or .tar file that you downloaded in it.
- 3Power off and start your device in fastboot mode by pressing volume down + power button.
- 4If the device drivers for your Google Nexus 4 are not already installed then download the drivers from the end of this post and follow this post to install USB drivers manually. (Just use drivers provided here instead of drivers mentioned at that post)
- 8If every step was followed correctly, you will see lots of new messages that will show that downloaded image is extracted and md5 is compared to check if the image is ok. If you see any error message or see nothing at all then please make sure that you have followed all the above steps correctly. If everything is correct then you will be asked if you want to flash image in put_google_factory_image_here folder, type in yes.
Done !! Your device should boot into home screen and is successfully unbricked.
- Google Nexus 4 USB drivers
- Stock ROM v 5.0.1 for Google Nexus 4 (Download the latest available firmware or the firmware you are currently on)
- Nexus 4 toolkit (Mirror)
Post Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, it’s not possible to downgrade your device. This means that if you are running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware on Google Nexus 4, you have two options, either install the same stock Android 4.3 firmware or upgrade to Android KitKat 4.4/Android 5.0 Lollipop. Now, if you install Android 4.4 KitKat firmware on your device, you won’t be able to go back to Jelly Bean 4.3 firmware. So, if you don’t want to upgrade, stay on the firmware you are currently on.
Get Tips for your device, Free!
No Spam Promise, Your email address is SAFE with us!