This post here is to unbrick soft bricked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) only. Don’t try this on any other Samsung Galaxy S3 variants. Also this post here is only for a soft bricked device not hard bricked (see the difference).
We are not responsible for any data loss or other problems that occur by using this tutorial. Flashing ROM deletes internal memory. Use at your own risk.
Samsung USB drivers
- 2Odin files
- 3Stock ROM
- 4PC with Windows OS on it
All the downloading links are provided at the bottom of the post.
Procedure to unbrick soft bricked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) :-
- 1Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) if not already present.
- 2Download and unzip Odin zip. Then open it as administrator.
- 3Download and extract stock ROM, you will get a .tar.md5 file.
- 4Power off your device and start it in downloading mode by pressing home + volume down + power button until you see Warning! sign and then press volume up button.
- 5Connect your device to PC using USB cable. If your device is detected then ID:COM box will turn to blue and indicates the COM port number and a word Added on a log box. If not, then make sure that USB drivers are installed correctly.
- 6In Odin, check Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time only. Don’t check Re-partition checkbox.
- 7Now click on PDA button and browse the .tar.md5 that you found after extracting stock ROM.
- 9Flashing process takes about 5 – 20 minutes. When Odin flashes ROM correctly, you will get a PASS. The log will show All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0).
Done !! Your device will reboot now. First boot takes some time so be patient.
If you are running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your device then you can easily upgrade and downgrade between Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. But since the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, you can’t downgrade to lower Android OS versions, due to secured bootloaders. You can either upgrade or install the similar firmware version. For example, if you are currently running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update on your Galaxy S3 i747 then you have two options, either to install Android 4.3 version again or upgrade to Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware version. Once on KitKat 4.4.2 version, you can’t downgrade to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean or lower version.
Thus, either upgrade or remain on the same firmware version. At present, Android 4.4.2 Kitkat for S3 i747 is only present in form of OTA (Over-The-Air) update which can only be installed manually via a custom recovery. So, until you get a Odin flashable firmware for KitKat 4.4.2 (should be about 700-900 mb+ in size), you can flash Android 4.3 Jelly Bean version only. This means that users running KitKat 4.4.2 update will have to wait as installing Android 4.3 will be a downgrade and that is not possible.
Get Tips for your device, Free!
No Spam Promise, Your email address is SAFE with us!